These vocabulary words focus on programming language terminology. This list will grow as we learn.
Code syntax are a set of rules that must strictly be followed when writing a program. Syntax is language-specific. The syntax rules dictaet how key words, oeprators and various punctuation characters must be used in a program.
A syntax error is a mistake such as a misspelled key word, a missing punctuation character, or the incorrect use of an operator. Each programming language will have its own way of alerting the developer of a syntax error.
Program Development Cycle
The steps to the development cycle of a software program:
- Design the program
- Write the tests
- Write the code to the tests
- Correct syntax errors
- Test the program
- Correct logic erros
The code that is written for a particular piece of software.
Data types: The grammar of a programming language.
Basic Types: These type names are based on the Python programming language. These types may go by different names or behave differently in other programming languages, but this is an excellent place to start. Different data types take up different amounts of space in memory. Primitive data types such as numbers, single character strings, and booleans take up less space than object data (programmer-created data) such as lists, arrays, maps, functions, methods and so on.
NoneType: None or null
bool: boolean or True/False
float: decimal or floating point number
dict: map or object
- functions, methods and classes
- mutable: a mutable object, it can be modified after it is created.
- immutable: an immutable object is an object whose state cannot be modified after it is created.
- Values assigned to certain data types exist as either mutable or immutable. These rules dictate how prorammers must use them in writing software.